A Community Built on Sharing Our Passion and Love For Creativity.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Time to Shop  Gallery  
12 Days of Holiday Sale - Dec. 9th thru Dec. 20th!! Save 40% on select products daily
Click to Visit the Store
free forum
Come Visit Our Blog
free forum
Visit The Gallery
free forum
Latest topics
» Lazy Sunday
December 18th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Joyful, Joyful...
December 6th 2012, 11:56 by Elisha Pharr

» Dec. Daily Cover...
December 5th 2012, 17:31 by Elisha Pharr

» Thanksgiving Eve....
November 26th 2012, 14:08 by Elisha Pharr

» Handmade Christmas Gifts??
November 21st 2012, 14:05 by Elisha Pharr

» Happy Monday!!
November 12th 2012, 10:30 by Elisha Pharr

» What's on your scrap desk?
November 12th 2012, 10:28 by Elisha Pharr

» The day after...
November 7th 2012, 14:34 by Elisha Pharr

» Authentique Festive Collection is up on the blog!!!
November 5th 2012, 14:18 by Elisha Pharr

Top posting users this week
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Share | 

QOTD 7/30

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ReneeLamb
Creative Designer

PostSubject: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 10:16

Are you doing what you always wanted to do for a job or did your job find you?

For me, I always wanted to be a journalist or a detective (csi type) but by 17 I joined the Air Force in which I went AWOL the day I was supposed to board my bus to boot camp to run off with my boyfriend to Fort Worth. And I found my job as a mortgage processor and have been in the Mortgage business now for 11 years. And more than ever am I wishing I would have gone to school to do what I really want. the mortgage business is so hard right now that for the first time in 11 years I want out! LOL

so what did you always dream of doing and are you doing it now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://reneelamb.wordpress.com
Sherry C
Fixative Spray

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 11:11

When I was young, I dreamed of being a nurse or flight attendant. Thank God I didn't choose the latter because I really don't love flying! lol

When I moved to Chattanooga, I was really depressed. My father-in-law suggested I try to find a job relating to decorating because he thought I had natural talent. So that's what I did and it was the best decision I ever made. (I have thanked him many times!) So even though it wasn't my dream when I was younger, it really is my dream job.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myfavoritethings-slc.blogspot.com/
ellen s
Creative Designer

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 11:36

I wanted to be a pilot. My mom talked me out of it b/c she didn't want to join the armed forces. My Uncle came home from Vietnam and was never the same and I thinks she feared for me. I hated high school so much, I just wanted to run and get as far away as I could.

I always loved the arts in some regard. I went to a small college where you could make your own major, the even want you to. I was undecided my first year. I was fluent in spanish by then and like my Econ class I took. This counselor told me to take this Intro Art History class and I LOVED it! I had like a 120 percent in the class, lol.

I approached the professor after class and told her that I was already a business major ...how could I combine the two? Her face lit up and she said, well, you have good timing.

Here the school was getting ready to interview for a new Museum Studies professor. I got to sit on the panel to help choose them. I was the first one in the program and got to do a lot with it. My senior year, we got a HUGE donation to our permanent collection. I got to categorize it, enter them all in the database, work them and event present a piece to the board. It was really cool. I even got to write a thesis.

I was lazy and didn't want to move to DC for an internship at American. Can you believe that? I wanted to go to Colorado w/ my boyfriend, live in an Earth Ship and become a hippie instead, LOL!!!

So here I am Smile I absolutely love what I do. Marketing lets me be creative and use my business sense. And teaching at night is the best. One day, I want to go back to school and get my doctorate and become a professor. When Henry goes to school in two years I will start getting serious about it.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://closeyourears.blogspot.com
Sheri Twing
Creative Designer

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 13:57

Well, I wanted to be a nurse or a school teacher.....I really wanted to be a nurse during my high school years and that's what I was going to do until I got married and went another direction! I just couldn't imagine all those years of schooling, which of course now, I realize, was stupid because those years pass anyway! I love my life now though. I have an easy stay at home job as a cust serv rep and even though I hate being tied to the phones, I love that I get to do it from home. I work in the evenings so my days are free!

It works for me and I'm very happy, so I guess it all works out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.auntierere.blogspot.com/
Ashjoy
Permanent Marker

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 15:20

Funny this question would come up today.
I'm hone alone and watching an all day M*A*S*H marathon.
For some reason I loved M*A*S*H growing up and always wanted to be a Medic.
So my first time out of college I was just that a Paramedic. I got to some of the fun stuff like fly in helicopters, scuba dive and do high angle rescues, which really met rope climbing and repelling on weekends. You also had to deal with the not so pretty stuff like suicide, murder, kids killed on New Years day on their family farms, not to mention that men are idiots to work with and for. But after having a baby and the hours were awful, not to mention the pay stunk! I went back to school for my business degree and worked for several different not for profits for a few years.
At 40 I finally have my dream job, I stay home and take care of my family. Now I just need to win the lottery so my huband can retire so we can travel. If all works out that will be tonight! LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://1ashjoy.blogspot.com/
Ksimmonds
Digital Designer

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 15:33

All my life my family called me an artist. I took vocational classes in high school and did very well. I wanted to be involved with art/color/design. BUT.... I was told that I wouldn't make any money and that I needed to do something sensible. I decided to go to college and get a business degree.

First day on campus, unpacked most of my stuff and headed straight to admin and changed my degree to clothing design. Took art and sewing and weaving classes for 4 years and got my degree and got engaged. My plan before I met my DH was to go to NY or even paris and study under some designers.

Life moved on, I wanted to be creative and decided to do a direct sales job to have control over my time. It was still artistic- I color draped and taught women to apply color, use skincare and pick wardrobes based on their body types. 15.5 years of that I did well, and was a natl. trainer and sr. director, but I missed EVERY scrapbook event and creative time with groups. SO, I decided to open an online scrapbook store and site (Serendipity Scrapbooks)

Things were moving right along, but scrapbooking and crafting had to take a back seat to running the business.

Then Breast cancer, surgery, along with a marriage already in distress, then Dh wanted a divorce and I knew I had to close and get an update to my degree to make myself viable and be able to support my daughter and myself.

So June 2010 the site closed and I started school that fall. I am getting a AAAS in Digital arts (graphic design) with an emphasis on textile print design and I am taking my last 2 classes and doing a fine art protfolio to get my AFA (minor) in Fine art.

I don't have my dream job yet, I am now just feeling like I am on the path of being and doing what I should have, but we all compromise a bit to have family and kids. I get to work part time/temp doing school pictures starting next month, graduate next June and then I am off and running.

I think I will be applying for Assoc. textile designer or colorist jobs and maybe even a few assoc clothing design jobs. We shall see...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.glittershineandbling.blogspot.com
Sherry C
Fixative Spray

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 16:27

I'm getting weepy just reading this thread. I love how the human spirit can fight and make adjustments when life throws us curve balls. I'm truly enjoying reading this thread, you all are amazing, beautiful women and I'm inspired by each and every one of you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myfavoritethings-slc.blogspot.com/
ellen s
Creative Designer

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 21:21

I know, Sherry! It's like...what's meant to be...just happens. AND I love that none of us sits here and "what if's" our decisions. that'll kill ya. i use to but not anymore. that means i am not happy now and i am.

and Joyce...you Scuba dived?????? SO COOL!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://closeyourears.blogspot.com
Melonie
Creative Mess

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 30th 2011, 21:23

I couldn't agree more Sherry! Such an amazing thread.
I always wanted to be a teacher. I went to college and got my associates degree in Early Childhood Education...started on my bachelors...and while going to school full time I got hired as a head teacher at a Goddard School in PA...never wanted to teach younger children until I was placed in a one year old room...while working there I had my son...and then all I wanted to be was a Mommy.
Now I have the best of both worlds because I have been home with my kids but also run a daycare out of my home for almost 11 years now. I often think about finishing my bachelors simply because I only have a few credits left but I am pretty happy with my life as it stands. The only thing I wish I had done differently is take some more art classes in college.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ReneeLamb
Creative Designer

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 31st 2011, 11:34

I 100% agree Sherry! I truly think you gals are an amazing bunch of women!

And Ellen - funny you wanted to be a pilot because that is why I joined the Air Force but once I got my assignment I realized my recruiter lied to me about being able to fly and that I was actually going to be a MECHANIC on the plane because they didn't allow for corrective vision. So um...yeah. I bailed. LOL

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://reneelamb.wordpress.com
Ashjoy
Permanent Marker

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 31st 2011, 12:12

ellen s wrote:
I know, Sherry! It's like...what's meant to be...just happens. AND I love that none of us sits here and "what if's" our decisions. that'll kill ya. i use to but not anymore. that means i am not happy now and i am.

and Joyce...you Scuba dived?????? SO COOL!

Yup, and really didn't like it all that much. But the water around here just isn't conducive to a good dive, and it was usually to retrieve bodies.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://1ashjoy.blogspot.com/
*ANDREA*AMU*
Permanent Marker

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   July 31st 2011, 20:50

I still don't know what career I'd like to have... all these years and I don't have it figured out. I went to college to be an Art teacher, but then my Senior year I decided to drop the education part... basically because I didn't want to remain in Kentucky to student teach and to be certified there. I would've had to be re-certified for PA. So, I have a BA in Fine Art and I still don't know what I want to do with it. Straight from college I worked with implementing arts and crafts into a Preschool program and did that for 6 years before working at an AC Moore as a Scrapbooking Dept. manager... but of course neither of them have been my dream jobs, lol! I did enjoy working the scrapping dept at ACM though and would probably still be there if we hadn't moved from the area.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://imlivinonscraps.blogspot.com/
Norma Kennedy
Vintage

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   August 1st 2011, 00:22

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and feel that this forum is filled with AMAZINGLY smart, talented women !!!!!!!!

I guess I would have to call myself a "Jack Of All Trades" but master of none !

Right out of high school I enrolled into Beauty School because it was the only thing I could get funding for. I enjoyed it and did it for a few years but really was not happy.

I started working for a shoe store (picways shoes) and worked my way quickly up to management. I met Damien at this time and was doing alot of driving in to the city so soon after he encouraged me to work for a local Jeweler. I really enjoyed my time there but retail was never enough and the owner encouraged me and even payed my way for schooling to become a Goldsmith, Gemologist/Diamondtologist. I LOVED IT !!!!

But as life has it I became pregnant during the highlight of my career and end up with placenta previa and had to step down and choose to not go back after my son was born and never went back to work.

In the years since I have taught High School Spanish as a temp, have helped a local florist part time & even worked for a Cardstock manufacture.

I am happy being a "Stay at Home Mom" for now but my big dream as a young girl was....... let me explain a bit or it just sounds weird .

My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was17. I had to identify my father's body and had to go over & over the images that were taken of my father's body/accident. I had decided back than that I wanted to be a Crime Scene Photographer. I was not able to get the funding or a scholarship and thus why I went to Beauty School.

I still dream of becoming a Crime Scene Photographer and have plans to go back to school as soon as Isabella hits kinder :' )

BELLA VIDA

When words become unclear,I shall focus with photographs.
~ Ansel Adams ~
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fortheluvofart.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QOTD 7/30   

Back to top Go down

QOTD 7/30
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
For The Luv of Art :: Day to Day Chit Chat :: Day to Day Chit Chat-
Jump to: